E10S-"Wasn't born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could"

Home – Zenos / Forums / Introductions / E10S-"Wasn't born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could"

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

JCarr
    Participant

After spending a couple of days in Indianapolis with Young, Brian & TJ and the entire Gator Motorsports team, I’m excited to let you know that USA Chassis 003 is being preped now for transport to Texas. I’ll be driving the car primarily Drivers Edge Events at MSR Houston (my home track), MSR Cresson, TWS (for as long as it’s around), COTA and others. It will, of course, see duty on the street and at Coffee & Cars as with Texas tag LC2CHL (that’s the Jimmy Buffett Song title, License to Chill). After nearly 3 years, I’ll be sad to see my 2 Eleven go, but I know that Brian will find it a good home.

My journey to E10S ownership has been interesting as I’ve searched for my “perfect” track day car: BMW Z4 3.5 s-Drive; Porsche Boxster S; Gineta G20; and Lotus 211. I race with CVAR and SVRA – Cooper T52 (FJr -for sale now), Elva MkVI (recently sold to a UK buyer); and Caldwell Formula Ford (may favorite!). For daily driver/occasional track use, I’ve had an Evora S, Porsche GT3 & GT4. On balance, I’m a big fan of the light weight, open top sports racer concept. I know it’s very un-American, but I’ll take handling over horsepower anyway!

Stay tuned — I’ll let you know about life in the Lone Star state with a Zenos E10S!

JCarr
    Participant

Took delivery from Gator Motorsports 10 days ago. Spent last weekend putting the first 450 miles on the E10s at Motor Sports Ranch – Houston and then Motor Sports Ranch – Cresson. What a great car! Did have to re-route rear brake lines to keep from rubbing through CV boots.

JCarr
    Participant

After 8 months of ownership, and approximately 1000 miles, virtually all on the track, I thought I’d provide some feedback and observations:

1. E10S is great. It’s virtually identical to the Lotus 211 I traded from a spec standpoint, but drives very differently – broader power curve, much more torque, but brakes are not as confidence inspiring.

2. I removed the windscreen and installed the body insert– not hard, but you have to be quite limber to get to a few of the bolts. Now that I know what a Bundy Tube is, it’ll be much easier. I like it without the screen more for track use. At least here in Texas, the windscreen seemed to make the car interior much hotter and therefore less comfortable.

3. I’m not a big fan of the Avon tires – I’ve switched to Hooiser slicks for dry conditions and am looking for a good wet tire. The Hoosiers do wear quickly however. I’m going to add more negative camber.

4. Brakes need work. I’m going to have the upgrade kit installed in December.

5. The tow hook is largely worthless except to haul up on a trailer and only if there is no angle to the winch. It needs to extend past the front body work to be useful. Without the windscreen, it’s possible to secure a tow strap to a roll over hoop if a tow is necessary.

6. Check your body panel bolts after hard track use – I find they do loosen.

7. Engine bay accessibility is a huge plus – much easier than the Lotus 211.

8. Rear visibility is a challenge. I’ve installed a rear camera on the license plate holder – it feeds a continuous feed to a small dash mounted screen – this is a huge help.

9. I’m having a customer cover made

The front & rear hood latches are a huge pain. Why are they secured with locks and why are there 2 different lock & key sets? I’m going to replace wiht button or aero latches.

ads_green
    Participant

4) Trust me you will like the upgrade. Night and day in comparison.

7) Hell yeah!

8) Yeah I struggle too but just get close, hop out then push car back.

10) All my locks are the same key (same as the driver storage compartment too)
    I looked at aerocatches as the ones on the 211 were perfect. Although tricky to find suitable mounting points as aero catches need a solid mount for the pin but the current design uses a lock latch to grab the bodywork.

JCarr
    Participant

Weird that mine came with three separate keys (front panel, rear panel & driver storage). I’ve found 2 types of catches for possible hatch latch replacement – button type & 211 type. The rear mounting points look OK but the front may be a challenge and will most likely involve a fabricated bracket of some sort. I’ll report which goes in easier (with photos).

SpudLink
    Participant

“3. I’m not a big fan of the Avon tires – I’ve switched to Hooiser slicks for dry conditions and am looking for a good wet tire. The Hoosiers do wear quickly however. I’m going to add more negative camber.”

Can you tell us what you dislike about the Avon tyres? I really like them in dry conditions. I assume you get the same ZZR compound we have fitted to the car in the UK?

“4. Brakes need work. I’m going to have the upgrade kit installed in December.”

The upgrade makes a huge difference, although I thought the original setup worked pretty well on track.

“5. The tow hook is largely worthless except to haul up on a trailer and only if there is no angle to the winch. It needs to extend past the front body work to be useful. Without the windscreen, it’s possible to secure a tow strap to a roll over hoop if a tow is necessary.”

I agree the towing eye needs to extend ahead of the front splitter. I think perhaps it could go through the mesh in front of the radiator.

“6. Check your body panel bolts after hard track use – I find they do loosen.”

Yep. I’ve had mine tightened at the factory. I also find the driver’s side mirror loosens.

“8. Rear visibility is a challenge. I’ve installed a rear camera on the license plate holder – it feeds a continuous feed to a small dash mounted screen – this is a huge help.”

I’ve done the same thing. Without a windscreen I had to invent a mount for the screen using magnets below to central instrument display. It also works for my SatNav.

“The front & rear hood latches are a huge pain. Why are they secured with locks and why are there 2 different lock & key sets? I’m going to replace wiht button or aero latches.”

All my locks are the same key. Only the fuel filler cap is different. Sound like something went a bit wrong. Perhaps you could have a word with your dealer about replacing them so they share the same lock?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.